Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy. This is the headline by Milo Yiannopoulos that stirred up a lot of controversy for Steve Bannon and Breitbart News. It’s been all over the news as a reason to turn against Steve Bannon hoping to expose his true character with what he allows on this news site. Most of my readers know I’ve extensive professional education and research in Hormone Medicine, worked over a decade in a Hormone Medicine Specialty clinic, and launched a Hormone Medicine research foundation working with hundreds of women of all ages, and virtually every method and system of hormone replacement therapy. So, when I saw the morning news splash this article up on the screen the last couple of days, I had to pull it up and see what the fuss was about because I didn’t see what the problem was. Why was everyone in such a tizzy?
For those who didn’t hear, Milo Yiannopoulos posted an article on Breitbart News by entitled, “Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy” in December of 2015 that many women and men found offensive. In fact the article was listed as one of Breitbart News’ Top 5 Worst Headlines and was barred on Twitter after being accused of inciting racist and sexist attacks on the actress Leslie Jones, told women that birth control “makes you fat,” “makes your voice unsexy,” “makes you jiggle wrong,” “makes you a slut” and “makes you unsexy all the time.” He stated many harsh things where I can see where most women would jump at the opportunity to say this guy’s a schumck. Though his tone comes off as offensive and judgmental, and no woman wants to hear female related anything come out of the mouth of a man, but could there be any truth to what he’s saying about women being fat and mental on birth control? I’m not saying what Milo Yiannopoulos said about Leslie Jones is right, in fact it’s unacceptable and emotionally immature, but like anyone else, Milo has a right to his opinion with his interactions with women who’ve been on birth control. Have you ever read the package insert in the birth control pill box? It’s not big news what happens to women who take it, it’s listed in black and white.
Although Milo Yiannopoulos comes off as a disgruntled teenager, he is right with regards to what happens to a woman’s brain and body when they go on birth control. He appears to be knowledgeable than most men (and women) with how estrogen affects a woman’s brain and body. I actually don’t blame him as a man with what he has to put up with when around an estrogen deficient woman. What many don’t realize is birth control puts a woman in chemical menopause but everyone has to pay the price in one way or another. There are 9 miserable side effects to chemical birth control he addressed I’d like to comment on for a Hormone Medicine consultant’s clinical perspective:
1. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES YOU FAT—This is very true, kind of. Milo talks specifically about DMPA, an injectable birth control like the brand Depo-Provera®. I’d like to clarify that any chemical given to a woman, whether injectable or oral, will cause her body to no longer produce estrogen. This will put a woman, no matter her age, into “chemical menopause”. What we have come to find is that estrogen affects every function in the female body right down to the core of every cell. The brain and body are significantly dependent on adequate (reproductive) levels of estrogen pumping in the blood, and when estrogen is not abundantly flowing through a woman, no matter how old she is, she will get fat and be unreasonable to be around most of the time. Everyone knows the best way to fatten up a female pig is to disrupt her ovarian function by way of spaying to shut off estrogen production. Taking away estrogen creates menopause. Estrogen levels indicate to the brain what stage of life a woman is in, and low levels of estrogen indicate a woman is in a state of post production signaling it’s time to “check out” and make way for the next generation so to speak. This triggers a mental and physical decline getting worse the lower estrogen gets. Chemical birth control tricks the brain into thinking a woman is producing enough estrogen so it shuts off her own estrogen production. You can see the change in body composition and personality of household pets, male and female, after they’ve been fixed. It’s not necessarily birth control that makes a woman fat and unable to lose it, it such low levels of estrogen that are the culprit.
When a patient can’t lose weight we take a look to see if it’s due to ovarian dysfunction (under producing estrogen), we find out why they’re not producing what they should then get their own body to trigger production with a nutrient dense diet, good sleep hygiene, a sound gut microbiome, and removing any endocrine disruptors. There is usually a reason a woman cannot produce enough estrogen. Increasing estrogen levels intrinsically or extraneously, changes brain and body function and indicates a different stage in life, (reproduction) so the body changes shape to indicate such (by dropping fat and increased muscles tone to prepare for reproduction), and demeanor calms and softens.
2. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES YOUR VOICE UNSEXY—Milo Yiannopoulos is correct when he wrote:
“Women sound most attractive to men when their estrogen levels are high, and their progesterone levels are low. Birth control lowers the former and raises the latter, making women sound as erotically appealing as Bruce Jenner giving a croaky acceptance speech.”
It’s not so much birth control that makes a woman’s voice deeper as it’s due to low estrogen levels from taking chemical birth control. When estrogen gets too low in a woman of any age, she will no longer produce water and fluids the body needs to lube things up like our internal tissues, oral cavity, skin, joints, nails, hair, vagina, eyes, throat, etc. In addition to a lack of lube, muscles and tissues are in atrophy compromising function, which changes the voice of a woman to a deeper, strenuous tone. This is not appealing to men with adequate testosterone levels. It’s not as repulsive to men with low testosterone and increasing estrogen levels. Cisgender men with healthy testosterone levels are drawn to healthy estrogen levels in cisgender women. Cisgender women with healthy estrogen are drawn to healthy testosterone in cisgender men, no matter how old the person is.
3. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES YOU JIGGLE WRONG—What he refers to with this statement is that the body composition and posture are just not right with women on the Pill, and he’s right. The body composition of a woman isn’t what it used to be like back in the 50s and earlier. Because of the Pill (a cease in estrogen production), fast food, poor sleep hygiene, muscle atrophy, an unhealthy gut microbiome, and shrinking bones, the posture and overall body composition will look more like a menopausal woman than a woman in reproductive prime. Estrogen levels dictate cravings, quality of sleep, health of gut, muscle tone, bone density, and how a woman will hold herself up and lift her chin and chest. Estrogen deficient women have bad posture.
4. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES YOU CHOOSE THE WRONG MATES—I loved this one because he hit the nail on the head but not for what he states. He claims women on the Pill seek men who are closer to their own tribe, meaning that low estrogen women are not drawn to high testosterone men but rather seek, weak estrogen dominant, low testosterone men. This isn’t exactly true. Yes, low estrogen women are not drawn to testosterone dominant men but it’s not testosterone deficient men she’s drawn to. Estrogen deficient women aren’t drawn to anyone. Low estrogen signals a woman is no longer in a state of reproduction so she detaches from her significant other as she loses her libido. Her ability to make emotional attachments diminishes, and irrational behavior gets indefensibly unreasonable driving others away. Low estrogen women are lonely and bitter. Estrogen sound women don’t have that sharp bitterness to them.
Estrogen deficient women are emotionally broken, no matter how much therapy they get. Estrogen is the confidence hormone to women that testosterone is to men. Estrogen at low levels causes depression, severe anxiety, and suicidal and homicidal thoughts. Low estrogen levels create low self-esteem, low self-confidence, and low self-worth in women. Women have a hard time making confident, rational decisions when estrogen is in the tank and tend to choose men to control or to mend their problems. I believe women choose the wrong mates because their estrogen is too low. They search for the mate who can fix all their broken emotional parts estrogen deficiency causes. I’ve seen it hundreds of times when women get their estrogen sound again and the changes that take place in the brain and mental outlook. When a woman marries a man when she was estrogen deficient and gets her hormones where they should be, her relationship will be challenged as the self esteem, self confidence, and self worth emerge. I’ve coached many women who’ve become estrogen strong how to re-establish a new relationship with her significant other.
5. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES YOU UNSEXY ALL THE TIME—This statement has a lot of truth for a reason. Estrogen levels dictate the stage of life a woman is in, low levels of estrogen program the mind she’s in postproduction and will not be interested in reproduction or anything associated with it. Estrogen levels of a healthy reproductive woman are somewhere in the 300-700 blood serum range on day 12 of the menstrual cycle, and an FSH <5. It’s in this range a women will be drawn to high testosterone men, want to be touched, have a good muscle to fat shoulder-waist-hip ratio, pleasant demeanor, increased pheromones, lubricated naughty bits, increased sensuality and sexuality, nipple-clitoral response, and tend to be more approachable.
6. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES YOU A SLUT—I’m not so sure about this one because he’s insinuating women on the Pill are more likely to cheat. The way he explains it doesn’t make sense but I have seen women so insecure with such low estrogen levels that they will risk their relationship to be with someone who they think will make them feel better about themselves even for just a moment. Estrogen deficient women are lonely and insecure and long to make connections to no avail. Women on the Pill are not hornier or want to be with a manly man because they can’t control themselves like Milo Yiannopoulos states. They cheat because they’re so emotionally broken and think it will make them happy. The truth is, nothing makes a woman who’s estrogen deficient happy. Absolutely nothing will make a woman happy if her estrogen is in the tank. Estrogen sound women are less likely to cheat because they’re more secure with who they are and find contentment in what they have.
7. BIRTH CONTROL MAKES MEN UNMANLY—Spoken like an emotionally immature male, Milo Yiannopoulos says the Pill will cause your woman to nag at you and if she weren’t on the pill then she wouldn’t nag. There actually is some truth to this. Estrogen deficient women will never be happy and will complain at anything. Estrogen is the contentment hormone in women and when it remains too low or non-existent, women will be unreasonable, have responses that are out of proportion to the situation at hand, stir up trouble, and never really have an end in sight. Even if you do what she says will make her happy, it won’t if her estrogen is too low. She’s up one week and down the next.
8. BIRTH CONTROL GIVES YOU COTTAGE CHEESE THIGHS—This is true. Estrogen deficiency causes cottage cheese thighs. Estrogen levels dictate cellulite. If you’ve gotten it by now that women without enough estrogen will be fat and crazy, it should also trigger a response of why aren’t doctors keeping estrogen levels up so women’s bodies and brains aren’t compromised?
9. THE PILL MAY HAVE DESTROYED THE INSTITUTION OF MARRIAGE—For most, this is the case but it’s not so much the Pill that caused it but the fact the Pill suppressed estrogen production so low a woman is no longer human and if coupled with anti-depressants, women don’t want to be touch and are numb about it. Most women are given anti-depressants and other drugs to treat the symptoms of estrogen deficiency instead of addressing the estrogen deficiency issue at the source. Women without estrogen are fat and moody and can’t be depended on. Her body is starved of the very hormone that tells her brain whether she wants to live or die, let alone contribute to a relationship.
Though Milo Yiannopoulos clearly has an opinion about he’s been affected by women affected by the Pill or injectable birth control, it’s not the Pill that’s causing all the problems, it’s low estrogen and a woman doesn’t have to be on the Pill to have low estrogen. It’s too bad that when young co-eds go to the doctor and complain about menstrual problems, headaches, depression, etc., the first line therapy is to prescribe birth control and anti-depressants. This is what’s making women crazy, and why I started a Hormone Medicine research foundation. If women’s estrogen was maintained at healthy levels as first line therapy, their brains and bodies wouldn’t fall apart so profoundly and rapidly. Women’s biggest challenge is finding a doctor who truly understands the impact estrogen has on her brain and body when she gets enough, what happens when she doesn’t, and how to properly manage it.
If you’d like to learn more about getting to your personal “Hormone Sweet Spot”™, click on the button below to make a complementary consultation.